JEE ADVANCED 2024 EXAM
What Is JEE ADVANCED?
To get into the top engineering colleges of the country one needs to clear both the entrance exam JEE Main and JEE Advanced. Only those students who are able to clear JEE Main cut-off are eligible to appear for the JEE Advanced exam. It is a Computer Based Exam and is conducted by the 7 IITs namely IIT Kharagpur, IIT Bombay, IIT Roorkee, IIT Madras, IIT Kanpur, IIT Delhi, and IIT Guwahati on a rotational basis. As per the expectation, JEE Advanced 2024 would be conducted by IIT Madras.
Read to the bottom to get all the latest updates about JEE Advanced 2024 exam dates, syllabus, exam pattern, and eligibility criteria.
Table Of Contents
- JEE Advanced 2024 Updates
- About JEE Advanced 2024
- JEE Advanced 2024 Important Dates
- JEE Advanced 2024 Eligibility Criteria
- JEE Advanced 2024 Application Form and Registration Process
- JEE Advanced 2024 Admit Card
- JEE Advanced 2024 Exam Pattern
- JEE Advanced 2024 Marking Scheme
- JEE Advanced 2024 Syllabus
- JEE Advanced 2024 Preparation Tips
- Best Books for JEE Advanced 2024
- JEE Advanced Mock Test
- JEE Advanced Previous Years’ Questions Papers
- JEE Advanced Answer Keys
- JEE Advanced Results
- JEE Advanced Counselling
- JEE Advanced Cut-off Marks
- JEE Advanced Marks vs Rank
- IIT Colleges Ranking
- Frequently Asked Questions on JEE Advanced 2024
JEE Advanced 2024 Updates
The official notification for JEE Advanced 2024 has been released by IIT Madras. JEE Advanced 2024 is expected to be held on the last week of May, that is May 26, 2024.
About JEE Advanced 2024
Below given table presents the details of JEE Advanced 2024
|Exam Name: JEE Advanced
|Exam Conducting Authority: IIT Madras
|Exam Purpose: Admission to B.E or B.Tech courses
|Participating Institutes: 33 (IISc, 23 IITs, 5 IISER, IIPE, IIST and RGIPT)
|Exam Mode: Computer-based Online Test
|Test Duration: 3 Hours (Paper 1 and 2 Respectively) – Both are mandatory to attempt
|Subjects Covered: Math, Physics and Chemistry
|Total Marks: Varies every year
|Total Eligible Candidates: Top 2,50,000 candidates from JEE Main
|Number of attempts: Maximum 2 attempts in consecutive years
|Available Seats in IITs: The number varies every year. The number of available IIT seats was 17,385 in 2023.
|Counselling Authority: JoSAA
|Official JEE Advanced 2024 Notification: Information Brochure PDF
The JEE Advanced 2024 would consist of two papers: Paper 1 and Paper 2, the papers would be carried out in two shifts. Both shifts will be held on the same day. For the students to be eligible for the merit list, it is mandatory to appear for both papers. Based on marks scored and rank secured in the JEE Advanced examination candidates are granted admission to various undergraduate courses, Master's and dual degree programs offered by IIT.
Get the complete JEE study plan by visiting the link given below:JEE (Main+Advanced) Courses
JEE Advanced 2024 Important Dates
All the important dates related to JEE Advanced are mentioned below. The candidates should stay updated about the JEE Advanced 2024 schedule in order to avoid missing out on any information.
|JEE Advanced Events
|Day, Date and Time (IST)
|JEE Advanced 2024 registrations
|April 21 to april 30, 2024
|Last date to pay fee by JEE Advanced registered candidates
|May 06, 2024 (Monday)
|JEE Advanced 2024 Admit Card available for downloading
|May 17 to May 26, 2024
|JEE Advanced 2024 Choosing of scribe by PWD candidates
|May 25, 2024(Saturday)
|JEE Advanced 2024 Exam
|May 26, 2024(Sunday)
|JEE Advanced 2024 response sheet release date
|May 31, 2024(Friday)
|JEE Advanced 2024 answer key challenge window
|June 02, 2024(Sunday)
|JEE Advanced 2024 provisional answer keys available
|June 02 to 03, 2024
|JEE Advanced 2024 final answer key and result declaration
|June 09, 2024(Sunday)
JEE Advanced 2024 Eligibility Criteria
It is mandatory for the students to meet the specific eligibility criteria established by the exam conducting authority in order to appear for JEE Advanced 2024. Any candidate failing to adhere to the eligibility criteria would not be qualified to appear for the JEE Advanced exam. To be on the safer side candidates are advised to read the eligibility criteria for JEE Advanced carefully and have a thorough check of the application form before submitting it, to avoid any discrepancies in the future.
Top 2,50,000 candidates (including all categories) in JEE (Main) 2024 are eligible to appear for JEE (Advanced).
The percentage of category-wise shortlisting of the candidates:
Open to all- 40.5%
PwD- 5% in all 5 categories
Refer to the below table to know the number of candidates included in 2,50,000 from various categories.
|Number of “Top” candidates
A candidate can attempt JEE (Advanced) a maximum of 2 times in 2 consecutive years.
Criterion 3 Age Limit:
Candidates born on or after October 1, 1999, are eligible to appear for JEE Advanced 2024 exam. However, candidates belonging to SC, ST, or PwD get 5 years of relaxation.
Criterion 4 Appearance in Class XII (or equivalent) examination:
Candidates who passed Class 12 in 2023 or 2024 are eligible for JEE Advanced 2024.
Candidates who had appeared in Class XII (or equivalent) examination for the first time in 2022 or earlier, are NOT eligible to appear in JEE (Advanced) 2024, irrespective of the combination of subjects attempted/offered.
JEE Advanced 2024 Application Form and Registration Process
Once the JEE Main Results are declared the conducting authority for JEE Advanced releases the application form. For the year 2024, IIT Madras will be in charge of conducting the JEE Advanced paper and they would be releasing the application form. In order to fill out the application form, the student must first register on the official website. Candidates have to submit the form online and deposit the application fees along with the form itself. Out of all the JEE Main candidates, only the top 2.50 lakh candidates would be eligible for the IIT JEE Advanced exam.
To submit the JEE Advanced application form successfully follow the steps given:
Step-1: Login & Fill Details
- Visit Official Website and Login
- Visit JEE Advanced official website. Click on: https://jeeadv.ac.in/.
- You will see the login portal of JEE Advanced.
- Enter the JEE Main 2024 Roll Number, Password, and Security Pin and submit it.
- Candidates have to select a new password for JEE Advanced.
- Fill Details
- Once you provide the new password, a new page will be displayed. Candidates will find all the details that they entered during JEE Main registration.
- Enter the number of attempts.
- Candidates can choose 3 examination cities as per their preferences.
- Select the language of the question paper (English or Hindi).
- Mention the category & scribe status.
- Carefully check the entered data and click on submit.
Step-2: Upload Scanned Images
Students must keep the given below documents ready to upload during the application process:
- Required Documents
Documents Format Size (in KB) Class X/Birth certificate 50-300 Class XII or equivalent exam certificates 50-300 Category, PwD, or DS (Defence Service) certificate (if applicable) 50-300 Scribe letter (if applicable) 50-300 PIO(Person of Indian Origin) card or OCI(Overseas Citizen of India) certificate (if required). 50-300 DS Certificate (if applicable) 50-300
- Upload Images
- Go through the upload images option.
- Select the required images.
- Carefully upload images one at a time.
Step-3: Registration Fee Payment
Once the documents have been uploaded, candidates need to pay the registration fee. Follow the steps for easy payment:
- Online Mode:
- Candidates can pay the application fee through various online payment methods like net banking, debit/credit card, etc.
- Select the “Pay Registration Fee” option.
- The Multi-Option Payment System (MOPS) page will appear on the screen.
- Enter the payment details and pay the application fee.
- Offline Mode:
- Select the “Pay Registration Fee” link.
- Select the SBI Branch for cash payment. Take the printout of the e-challan generated by the system.
- Submit the printed e-challan to the SBI branch near you, along with the fee.
Step-4: Print Application Form
After the transaction process is over, students can take the printout of the application form. It is advisable to keep the 2-3 extra printouts with you for future use. However, students need not send any hard copy to the conducting body.
JEE Advanced 2024 Registration Fees
JEE Advanced 2024 Admit Card
JEE Advanced admit card would be released by IIT Madras at jeeadv.ac.in. Admit cards would be released only for those candidates who would have successfully registered for the JEE Advanced exam before the last date. To download the admit card the candidates would require to login into the portal using their registration number, date of birth, and mobile number.
JEE Advanced 2024 Exam Pattern
The below-given table shows the exam pattern for JEE Advanced 2024, however, the number of questions in JEE Advanced paper may vary every year.
Number of Papers: 2 (Paper-I and Paper-II) – Both are compulsory
Exam Mode: Computer-based (Online)
Shifts: 9 AM – 12 PM, 2:30 PM – 5:30 PM
Duration: 3 Hours each for Paper-I and Paper-II (4 hours for PwD candidates)
Number of Sections: 3 (Physics, Chemistry, Math)
Question Paper Languages: English and Hindi
Question Types: Multiple Choice Questions (with one or more correct options), Numerical-based Questions, Matching List Questions
Number of Questions: Varies
JEE Advanced 2024 Marking Scheme
For questions with one or more correct options, the marking scheme is as follows:
- If responses are correct, +4.
- For partially correct answer +3, +2, +1 is provided, any incorrect option is not marked.
- In case of incorrect answer -2.
- No negative marking for questions that are not attempted.
Questions with numerical value type answers marking scheme are as follows:
- +3 for correct answer.
- in case of any incorrect answers or questions left unattempted, there would be no negative marking.
Matching list type and single correct option questions marking scheme are as follows
- +3 for a correct answer
- -1 for an incorrect answer
- no negative marking for questions that are not attempted
Like in the case of the JEE Advanced, the AAT pattern is not fixed. Below-given is an outline of the exam pattern as seen in previous year’s exams:
- Mode of Examination: It is conducted offline.
- Sections: Geometrical Drawing, Freehand Drawing, Imagination, Aesthetic Sensitivity, Three-Dimensional Perception, Architectural Awareness.
- Exam Duration: 3 hours.
- Language: English.
JEE Advanced 2024 Syllabus
The syllabus of JEE Advanced is declared by the Examination Authority. As compared to the previous years' JEE Advanced 2024 syllabus has been released with some differences. The syllabus is extracted according to the NCERT curriculum and is somewhat very similar to the Main syllabus. The difference that can be spotted is in the weightage of the different topics. The students should have an update regarding the syllabus so that they can schedule their preparation accordingly. To check the subject-wise syllabus for JEE Advanced the candidate can follow the link given below
The objective of the questions in the JEE Advanced paper is to test conceptual clarity and application-based knowledge hence, the candidates are suggested to practice mixed variations of problems from different reference books. It is highly important to invest time in all three subjects equally. The questions can pop up from anywhere, all the aspirants should have a suitable study plan based on the topics that are included in the syllabus.
Books play a vital role in taking candidates closer to their goals. It is very important to pick the right books for IIT preparation. The quality of work matters over the number of books. To avoid confusion between the concepts, multiple books should not be referred to study similar topics. All the aspirants should analyze their strengths and weaknesses to draft an appropriate study plan so that the preparation can be completed on time and there is enough time left for revision.
JEE Advanced 2024 Preparation Tips
- Focus: Your focus will decide your selection. It is better to understand the concept rather than just focusing on formulae. Through this process, one can know the entire method used to get to the formula. Hence, you will be able to memorize formulae easily.
- Organize your time: Proper time management during preparation is important. Keep track of the time duration you take to solve questions. Also, allocating time subject-wise will help you attempt the JEE Advanced paper within the given time constraint. This will also help in exam simulation. The time allocation process plays as a game-changer during the exam. When you filter out the easy and difficult questions, you will be able to dedicate the decided time to solve a specific category of questions. It will save a lot of your time.
- Keep taking breaks: Don’t burden or stress yourself out with a tight schedule. It is essential you take periodic breaks and avoid burnout. Talking to friends or spending some time to refresh yourself will help you relax and learn effectively.
- Fulfill targets on a daily basis: Assign yourself some targets every day and try to complete those tasks by the end of the day. Ensure to include learning and revision in your daily study plan. This will boost your confidence and avoid time wastage.
- Practice solving sample papers: After completing a chapter or any topic, try solving the previous 8- 10 years papers at least, of the relevant topic. Through solving papers, you will be able to understand the transition in the paper pattern. You can try Mock test papers and sample papers to evaluate your preparation. Also, Motion offers the CPS feature for customized learning where you can solve sub-topic/topic-based questions. It will help you in formulating exam strategies and eliminating weaknesses.
- Subject-wise planning: Select and cover topics of your preferences every day of different subjects. Don’t ignore any topic as your weak topic can be other students’ strength. Students must refer to the latest JEE Advanced syllabus for their systematic study plan.
- Clarity in concepts: It is essential for students to have a clear foundation and thinking process. This will help students to implement the correct concept or method instantly after reading a question.
- From basics to classics: It is advisable to start learning from the basics and then gradually move towards difficult topics. Directly switching to difficult problems can lead to bad performance as your concepts are not yet clear.
- Numericals are crucial: To clear JEE Advance, students need to practice numerical problems a lot. Make sure you at least solve 40-50 numeric-based questions each day. With subjects like Math, Physics, and Chemistry, there is no dearth of numerical problems. Motion brings you a huge question bank, with quality questions to test yourself and solutions to keep learning simultaneously.
- Save your best for the last: many students tend to cover easy topics in the beginning and leave difficult ones for the last. But later on, they panic as they leave crucial sections. Therefore, it is best to first cover important topics and then switch to easier ones. Prepare proper notes and highlight topics you find difficult for the last time revision.
- Discuss with your peers: Students can overcome their weaknesses through discussion with their mentors or fellow aspirants. Solve your doubts and interact with mentors or friends without hesitating for effective studies.
Best Books for JEE Advanced 2024
Below given is the list of most preferred books by the toppers. Students preparing for the JEE Advanced 2024 can opt these to boost their preparation.
Also Visit: Best Books to Prepare for JEE Advanced 2024
JEE Advanced Mock Test
The mock test paper for the 2024 exams would be released by the Examination Authority. To get well acquainted with the Computer Based online exam pattern, the students are advised to practice these test papers. JEE Advanced mock test will be for 180 minutes. The students should use this golden opportunity to improvise their preparation. The candidates can use computers to navigate between the sections and submit their answers. Practicing with a mock test is an ideal way to prepare for exams like JEE Advanced.
Sample question papers and previous years’ question papers are also of great help to understanding the marking scheme, types of questions asked, the difficulty level of the exam, and how much time is to be put in different sections.
JEE Advanced Previous Years’ Questions Papers
It is benificial to practice previous years' paper as it helps you simulate the real JEE Advanced exam. You can find them all here, by Motion,your assistance :
- JEE Advanced 2023 Answer Key & Solutions
- JEE Advanced 2022 Answer Key & Solutions
- JEE Advanced 2021 Answer Key & Solutions
- JEE Advanced 2020 Answer Key & Solutions
- JEE Advanced 2019 Answer Key & Solutions
- JEE Advanced 2018 Answer Key & Solutions
- JEE Advanced 2017 Answer Key & Solutions
- JEE Advanced 2016 Answer Key & Solutions
- JEE Advanced 2015 Answer Key & Solutions
JEE Advanced 2024 Answer Key
Candidates can compare their responses with the provisional answer of JEE Advanced. It will help predict the average score in the exam. Candidates also get the option to challenge the answer key by completing the payment of 1000/- INR.
The Answer Key for JEE Advanced 2024 will be updated soon after the examination. The JEE Advanced 2023 Answer Key will be available here.
The process of challenging the JEE Advanced 2024 Answer Key is explained in detail below:
- Visit the official website of JEE Advanced.
- Login using your credentials (application number and password) after selecting the JEE Advanced portal for candidates.
- Select the link to initiate the process of raising an objection.
- Mark the question you want to raise an objection for.
- Upload your claimed answer and documents in support of the claim.
- Pay the fee to claim.
- Click on the submit button to complete the process.
Candidates have to pay a non-refundable fee to challenge the answer key for each question. An individual can complete the transaction through Credit or Debit Cards, Paytm, or State Bank Buddy. The decision of JAB and CBSE will be final in this regard and no further queries will be entertained in this matter.
JEE Advanced Results
JEE Advanced 2024 results would be declared by IIT Madras. The responsibility of declaring the result is given to the Examination Authority of that particular year. The result will be published online on the official website. The marksheet would include subject-wise marks and total marks secured, All India Rank, and Category Ranks.
How to Download JEE Advanced Results?
In order to download JEE Advanced results follow the steps given below:
- Open the official website and log in using the roll number, mobile number, and date of birth.
- Click the submit button.
- The result will be displayed on the screen.
Read More About JEE Advanced Results 2023
JEE Advanced Counselling
The exam-conducting authority doesn’t hold the responsibility for conducting the counseling and the allotment of the seats for JEE Advanced. The authority in charge of conducting the rest of the activities is Joint Seat Allocation Authority (JoSAA). All those students who qualify for JEE Advanced will have to register with JoSAA.
Once the candidate has successfully registered with JoSAA, then they will be able to participate in the counseling process. The candidates will have to choose their preferred IIT and courses. On the basis of the marks and the rank scored the seat allotment is done. The preferences, along with the availability of seats are also considered. After the JEE Advanced 2024 results are declared the application form for JoSAA 2024 would be released.
JEE Advanced Cut-off Marks
Along with the declaration of results, the cut-off marks for the entrance exam will be released. To be eligible to participate in the counseling process conducted by the Joint Seat Allocation authority, the candidate would have to qualify for the JEE Advanced cut-off marks. Cut-off marks are the minimum marks required by the candidate and hence, the students are shortlisted for admission at IIT based on the cut-off marks and the rank secured in the examination.
Factors Determine the Cut-off Marks for JEE Advanced
- Total candidates eligible for JEE Advanced.
- Total candidates appeared.
- Last year’s cut-off trends.
- Seat availability in different IITs.
- The difficulty level of the exam.
- The overall performance of appearing candidates.
JEE Advanced Marks vs Rank
On the basis of previous years' result analysis, we have provided an approximate range of JEE Advanced marks vs rank. As soon as the exam is over the answer keys are released by the exam conducting authority. After having a check on the answer key the candidates can refer to JEE Advanced marks vs rank analysis and have an idea about their expected rank range based on the marks secured out of 360.
|Marks Range out of 360
|Expected ranks (Approx)
|335 Marks to 308 Marks
|10 to 50
|285 Marks to 279 Marks
|100 to 200
|230 Marks to 224 Marks
|700 to 800
|212 Marks to 209 Marks
|1100 to 1200
|200 Marks to 197 Marks
|1500 to 1600
|191 Marks to 189 Marks
|1900 to 2000
|177 Marks to 175 Marks
|2700 to 2800
|172 Marks to 170 Marks
|3100 to 3200
|163 Marks to 162 Marks
|3900 to 4000
|155 Marks to 154 Marks
|4700 to 4800
IIT Colleges Ranking
We have been collecting cut-off information from official sources for a long time and organized information in a way to make it easy for students to see where they stand the chance of getting admission. That also helped us to figure out what is student choice when it comes to choosing a place to study.
For ranking we considered cut-offs for 4 common departments, this also helps us to reduce bias and error in ranking. Included departments are Computer Science and Engineering, Electronics and Communication Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, and Civil Engineering. We combined EE and EC as many IITs offer these courses in the same departments.
Based on this the IIT Ranking for the year 2023 is as follows.
|Indian Institute of Technology Bombay
|Indian Institute of Technology Delhi
|Indian Institute of Technology Madras
|Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur
|Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur
|Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee
|Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati
|Indian Institute of Technology Hyderabad
|Indian Institute of Technology Gandhinagar
|Indian Institute of Technology Gandhinagar
|Indian Institute of Technology Indore
|Indian Institute of Technology Ropar
|Indian Institute of Technology Bhubaneswar
|Indian Institute of Technology Mandi
|Indian Institute of Technology Jodhpur
|Indian Institute of Technology Patna
|Indian School of Mines Dhanbad
|Indian Institute of Technology Tirupati
|Indian Institute of Technology Palakkad
|Indian Institute of Technology Goa
|Indian Institute of Technology Dharwad
|Indian Institute of Technology Bhilai
|Indian Institute of Technology Jammu
|Jammu and Kashmir
Read more about Top 10 Engineering Colleges in India
Frequently Asked Questions on JEE Advanced 2024
Q1. When will the JEE Advanced 2024 exam be conducted?
JEE Advanced 2024 is expected to take place in June 2024. The exam conducting authorities for 2024 is IIT Madras.
Q2. When will the JEE Advanced application form be released?
It is expected that the online application form for JEE Advanced 2024 will begin in the fourth week of May 2024. To fill out the application form for JEE Advanced 2024 the candidates can check at jeeadv.nic.in.
Q3. How to download the JEE Advanced 2024 admit card?
In order to download JEE Advanced 2024 admit card the candidates should visit the official website and the candidate would be able to get the admit card.
Q4. Are candidates who have cleared their qualifying exams in 2022 eligible for JEE Advanced 2024 if they did not appear for it in 2023?
No, in such case the candidate won't be eligible. The only case might be the result of the qualifying exam being declared after June 2022 but still, the candidate would have to adhere to several other eligibility criteria.
Q5. Can aspirants who missed JEE Advanced 2023 appear in JEE Advanced 2024?
Yes, in case the student has missed JEE Advanced 2023 then he or she will be allowed to appear in the entrance exam in 2024.
Q6. How many seats will be available in IITs in 2024?
The number of seats offered by IIT varies every year. In 2023 it was 17,385. In order to know the number of seats in 2024 we will have to wait for the official word from the exam authorities.
Q7. How much do I have to score in the JEE Main to qualify for the JEE Advanced 2024?
A candidate must secure a rank among the top 2,50,000 in JEE Main 2024, in order to be eligible for JEE Advanced 2024.
Q8. Are both Paper-I and Paper-II mandatory in the JEE Advanced 2024?
The candidate’s total score and rank will be calculated based on their scores in the JEE Advanced 2024 Paper-I & Paper-II hence, both papers are mandatory.
Q9. Is there any change in the JEE Advanced eligibility?
Yes, 75% of the eligibility criteria for admissions to IITs have been scrapped in 2022, as per the request of students.
Q10. How is the top 20 percentile calculated for the qualifying exam?
The aggregate marks of all the qualifying exam subjects are calculated to know the percentiles. The Institutions will be providing cut-off marks for the top 20 percentile of various categories. This information will be published on the IIT websites.
Q11. Which login ID must be used to apply for the JEE Advanced 2024?
JEE Main roll number is the candidate’s login ID for JEE Advanced 2024. The password is same as that of JEE Main.
Q12. What kind of questions can I expect in the JEE Advanced?
As per the format, the questions are mostly multiple choice and they cover all three subjects. Namely Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics. The candidate should prepare well as the questions are tricky and analytical in the JEE Advanced paper.
Q13. Is there any way to confirm the registration status for the exam?
To confirm the registration status of the exam the candidates can check the official website. The status is updated within 72 hours of payment of the fees, in case the candidate is unable to see the updated status then the admission authorities should be connected immediately.
Q14. Apart from IIT colleges, which are the other premier institutes offering admissions based on the JEE Advanced score?
Apart from IIT, based on JEE Advanced score, nine other premier institutes offer admissions, namely, IISC Bangalore, IISER Bhopal, IISER Kolkata, IISER Mohali, IISER Thiruvananthapuram, IISER Pune, IIST Thiruvananthapuram, RGIPT Rae Bareli, and IIPE Visakhapatnam.
Q15. How to develop better skills for solving JEE questions?
Solving JEE Advanced question papers, sample question papers, and mock tests are best and the most effective ways to develop skills for solving the JEE questions. These indeed are a great way to get familiar with the exam pattern and how much time should be invested in a specific question on the day of the exam.
Q16. JEE Advanced 2024 will be held in how many languages?
The JEE Advanced 2024 will be held in 2 languages namely English and Hindi.
Q17. Do I need to apply for the JEE Advanced separately?
Yes, after the announcement of JEE Main results, the JEE Advanced applications will be released. Only the top 2,50,000 candidates from JEE Main would be eligible to apply for JEE Advanced.